Celebrating 147 years of College leadership
Over the past 147 years, the College has been served by the senior leadership of 30 men - from the founding Headmaster Br Barrett, Br Reidy who was College Headmaster four times, our first Lay-Principal Dr Brendan McManus through to our current Principal Dr Michael Carroll, these men have led by example and followed the calling of the Christian Brothers to bring a Catholic education in the Edmund Rice tradition to over 20 000 students.
The Gregory Terrace Museum and Archives serve to promote the history of the College and showcase the remarkable story and traditions of Terrace over the past 146 years. They stand testament to the dedication of the Christian Brothers, teachers and Old Boys who have passed through our gates and serve an important function in preserving and sharing historical knowledge with the Terrace Family.
The Museum proudly tells the stories of the Gentlemen of Terrace, such as the sacrifice of young lives in the service of our country, the bravery and enterprise in saving lives and the pioneering work in medicine. There are stories of academic prowess, sporting achievements and distinguished professional careers. There are also stories of ordinary lives lived - each with its own purpose, each making the collective story of St Joseph's College, Gregory Terrace what it is today. Alongside and as a complement to these stories are important artefacts and items of memorabilia on display, dating back to 1875.
The College Archives, also a part of the Museum, serve to catalogue and organise documents and objects not on display in the Museum. All donated items are stored in specially designed, high quality archive storage facilities to ensure the preservation of every object.
The Terrace Museum provides a place for Old Boys and family members to visit, reminisce and/or donate their treasured items for the future generations of Terracians. If you have any enquiries or items you wish to donate to the Terrace Museum please contact the College Archivist.
The Museum, located at the top of the Treacy Centre on Gregory Terrace, is open from Monday to Friday 9am-3pm (term time only). To arrange a visit please contact the Archives Manager.
Bianca Wagner - College Archivist
+617 3214 5259
From the very first Yearbook in 1901 through to 2020 - all of the College Yearbooks available have been scanned and uploaded to our GTOBA website. Please click HERE to go to the page.
Please note - there are very limited Yearbooks for the early years at Terrace - the books were published sporadically. There are several years through the 1930s and again in the 1940s where the Yearbooks were not published.
Remembering our Terracian veterans
In a College as old as Terrace, the history of Australia and Brisbane is tied closely to the history of the College. On Anzac Day, we celebrate those Terrace Old Boys who proudly served both their country and school. Many returned home and many did not, making the ultimate sacrifice.
Spanning across World War One, World War Two, Korea, Malaya and Vietnam, 800 Terrace Old Boys have heeded the call and have joined the Army, Navy or Air Force. Their experiences have been many and varied, including a Doctor in Gallipoli, Bomber pilot flying over occupied France, war correspondent, Chaplain, a civilian surgeon in Vietnam and a soldier involved in the battle of Long Tan. These are only a few of the remarkable stories of our Terracians.
Please take the time to view the names of our veterans on the Wall of Remembrance. If you would like to add your own story or that of a family member, please contact the College Archives.
Museum Photo Gallery
Click on the images to see the full photo and description of some of the items held by the College Museum and Archives.
This book was used to record the names of the first students to attend the new Christian Brothers’ College opened on 5 July 1875 at St Stephen's Cathedral.
There were 26 boys registered on the first day. Most of the boys lived close to the CBD, as Brisbane was still a very small town. The boys came from a mixture of backgrounds; some from professional or business families, others were the sons of labourers and council workers. The College, in accordance with Edmund Rice, aimed to provide an equal education for all boys.
Believed to be the original coat belonging to Br Treacy, worn when he arrived in Australia. It is in remarkably good condition for its age and due to the Queensland weather conditions it would have rarely been worn. The coat is on permanent loan to the College Museum and Archives.
This blazer belonged to Mr Keith Noud GT 1929. Keith became one of Australia’s most famous race callers. He was awarded an MBE in 1975 and the Advance Australia Award in 1986 for his contribution to sport and charity. Keith died in 2001.
1926 - Cap was awarded to Mr Les Dempsey GT 1927, for Rugby League, the game of choice at Terrace during the 1920s. It was donated by Mrs Dempsey in 2001.
1927- Cap was awarded to Mr Jim Larkin GT 1928, for Rugby Union. This was the first year Terrace played Rugby Union in the GPS competition.
Both caps are made of velvet with a metal tassel.
Mr Len Shea GT 1938 played Rugby at Terrace in Years 11 and 12.
When Len donated his boots to the Museum he wrote a letter to help explain what the boots were like to wear in the 1930s.
The boots, made of leather had extra long laces to be wrapped around the ankles for extra support. The missing tags were not replaced as they kept flying off and I became sick of replacing them.
This woollen jersey was worn by Len Shea GT 1938. The red and black were referred to as butcher's stripes. The 1st XV wore a black wool jersey with two red stripes.
The jersey could be laced up at the neck with a sand shoe lace, but it was a little cooler without, and tacklers were inclined to attempt to strangle one by grabbing hold of the lace and twisting it – especially large forwards.
This megaphone, made from cardboard and leather, was used at sporting events by students for war cries and cheering. This megaphone was owned by Mr Frank Mulholland GT 1938.
This plate was unearthed during renovations to the Treacy Centre in 2010.
Made in England by J&G Meakin, the plate can be dated back to the 1890s. The pattern was specially made for use in churches and monasteries.
This medal was awarded to Mr James Mahoney GT 1925 in his Senior year. It was the last Buchanan medal to be awarded at the College. The Buchanan medal was awarded to the student who did the best in Junior or Senior. The medals were donated by Mrs JJ Buchanan between 1885 and 1925, she was a generous benefactor to the Brothers and the College. The giving of a medal to the highest achieving students was re-introduced in 1996 and continues today as the Scholars' Medal.
Mr William Edward Sheehan GT 1947 was awarded these silver salad servers in 1947 for winning the 100 yards open race.
A competitors ticket for the annual GPS Athletics competition, held at the Exhibition oval in 1942.
These books were given to students to help ‘regulate’ their behaviour. The preface of the book states:
This observation has special reference to their hours of recreation when, in moments of excitement, rudeness is apt to betray itself.
Mr Ted Stewart GT 1939 used this exercise book in Year 6 in 1933. Each day there was a different exercise to complete. Note how neat and tidy his penmanship is.
This blazer belonged to Mr Neville Downes GT 1941. Neville was Head Prefect,Senior president of the St Vincent De Paul, Captain 1st IV, Captain 1st XI, 1st XV, Senior Champion Cross Country, Senior Champion Tennis.
This jersey belonged to Mr Tom Hall GT 1939. Tom played Rugby in the 1st XV for two years. The 1938 annual states:
Tom Hall, good rake: always on the ball; rather light for effectiveness in rucks, will be a force in next year’s team.
As a token of their gratitude for all Br Campbell did for Terrace and cricket, the 2nd XI team presented him with this silver cricket counter in 1952. 'Doc Campbell' was a well loved character in the Terrace Family.
Mr James Portley GT 1930 threw this shot put in 1930 and broke the GPS record. The shot put weighed 7.25kg. James competed that day with a broken hip, still managing to throw the shot put over 14m.
Many students remember sitting at these wooden desks. The hole for the ink well still remains at the top of the desk.
These blazer pockets and hat bands have been donated by Old Boys over the years. They are a good example of how the crests and designs have changed as the school has grown.
These medals belonged to Mr Mark Tonelli GT 1973. Mark won these medals swimming at the 1974 Commonwealth Games held in Christchurch, New Zealand.
The 'Terrace II' was rowed by the 1958 1st XIII and secured second place at the Head of the River regatta. Mr Ron O'Brien, GT 1958 donated the bow of the boat in 2017.
This rowing zoot suit belonged to Mr Michael Toon GT, 1996. Michael represented Australia in the 1st VIII squad at the Athens Olympics in 2004. The team went on to win a bronze medal.
This bag belonged to David Stirling GT 1965 and is a typical example of the type of school bag used by students in the 1960s.
The Cadet Corps was active at Terrace from 1918-1975.
- Cadet tunic - Worn by Neville Eaves GT 1943.
- Swagger Stick - Traditionally used by officers as a symbol of authority, this swagger stick was awarded to Cadet Bernard Wilkes in 1958 for Most efficient cadet at Terrace.
- Cadet hat - Belonging to past College Principal Mr Brendan McManus GT 1964.
Priests carried a travelling altar when they visited families in remote areas who could not visit a church.
The kit is housed in an oak case with brass fittings and contains candlesticks, a holy water bottle, basin and sprinkler, two plates, a cup and a pitcher.
It is believed that this altar belonged to Sir James Duhig GT 1886.
This is a rare item to have in the museum as traditionally Christian Brothers are buried with their rosary. The rosary is unique to the Christian Brothers as it has an additional decade, as a dedication to past students. It is thought that it may have belonged to Br Leo Ansell GT 1941.
Br Tim Scott donated the rosary to the Terrace Museum in 2011.
The centenary of Terrace was celebrated across the year with events including a family day, dinner dance, Centenary Mass and a race day.
These are the only father and son blazers owned by the College Museum. Donated by John Wilkinson, GT 1974 and his father Cyril Wilkinson, GT 1936. Both father and son were heavily involved in sport during their time at Terrace.
The Thallon medal was awarded to the children of Queensland Railway employees, who secured the higher percentage of marks in the junior public examination.
This medal was donated by Len Green GT 1955 in 2013. Len’s grandfather, father and uncle all attended Terrace. His grandfather PW Shannon started Terrace in 1876.
This selection of English text books was donated to the College by Barry Dittmer GT 1953.
The books have class notes written in the margins. One book contains a poem Barry wrote about ‘Doc’ Campbell and Br Adams. A good example of the schoolboy humour of the time.
Please enjoy the special exhibition dedicated to our Old Boy Vietnam Veterans.
This exhibition was opened at the College Museum on 1 June 2018 to coincide with the blessing and unveiling of the Honour Board dedicated to our Old Boys who fought in the Malayan Emergency, Korean and Vietnam Wars.
To view the information panels featured in the exhibition please click here
Images of the Old Boy Vietnam Veterans' exhibition.