Director of Music | Mr Jan Hewerdine
Term 2 Music
A perusal of the Term 2 Music events reveals a busy schedule of performances for musicians and singers.
School holidays present a wonderful opportunity for practice on a regular basis, in preparation for the upcoming performances. Along these lines, a reminder that Music Practice Hall is held on Mondays from 3.15-5pm. We encourage you to support this unique opportunity on a regular basis, and give your sons the chance to practice with guided supervision. This is run by tutors from the Queensland Conservatorium of Music and other tertiary institutions.
The ANZAC Day city march occurs in Week 1 of Term 2. This year, the band will be marching around twice. This will occur at approximately 10.30am and again at 11.30am. This national event is carried live by ABC television, so for those who can’t make it to see their sons march, you will be able to watch them on the ABC.
The Norman Clarke concert
At Terrace, we are proud of our classroom music program and all that it offers students in Years 5 and 6. As part of the students’ musical journey, opportunities to perform are provided in Terms 2, 3 and 4. The program’s benefactor Mr Norman Clarke has invested considerable ongoing funding to make the program what it is and the annual concert has been named in his honour. The Norman Clarke concert brings the premier ensembles and choir together into one venue. As a first, we have decided this year to include Year 5 Classroom Music students as a part of this prestigious event. This will be held in the Hanrahan Theatre at Villanova College on Sunday 9 June and parents are invited. Not only will it provide your sons with their first public appearance as musicians, but it will also show them and yourselves what the future will bring, as they develop on their musical journey. Timings for this event will be released shortly, but the performance itself is held in the afternoon.
Soon the boys will be rehearsing the repertoire for this concert, so please encourage them to practice often. We are looking forward to seeing them amaze you when their collective efforts come together on the day.
- Monday 15 April 9-12pm Tennyson, ANZAC Day Marching Band, (Consisting of BCB, RCB and Red Thunder Drumline)
- Monday 15 April 12.30-2.30pm Tennyson, Red Thunder Drumline
- Tuesday 16 April, 9-12pm Tennyson, ANZAC Day Marching Band (as per above + SWE)
- Tuesday 16 April, 12.30-2.30pm Tennyson, Pep Band (TJO, BBB, Tuba Ensemble and Percussion Ensemble Two Drumline)
Term 2 Events
- Thursday 25 April 8am-12.30pm, ANZAC Day Marching Band Thursday, meet at Terrace, march in Brisbane CBD
- Thursday 9 - Saturday 11 May, Middle School Music Production, selected performers only
- Saturday 11 May, 12.30pm, Pep Band
- Saturday 25 May, 12.30pm, Pep Band
- Saturday 1 June, 12.30pm, Pep Band
- Sunday 9 June, Villanova College. Norman Clarke Concert. Sound checks from 10.45am, concert at 3pm
- Monday 24 June, Drumline and BB2 Workshop
- Tuesday 25 June, First Percussion Ensemble BB3 band Workshop
- Wednesday 26 June, Percussion 2, Percussion 3, TJC band Workshops
- Thursday 28 June – Saturday 6 July, USA Music Tour