Acting Director of Music | Mr Jan Hewerdine
Congratulations to our Fanfare Trumpet team who performed at College Assembly on Tuesday under the direction of Mr Brad Esbensen.
I would like to draw your attention to the upcoming holiday workshops (please see below) for the ANZAC Day Marching Band and the Red Peppers Pep Band. For those who will also be trying out for the Years 8, 10 and Open Football teams, please attend the trials first up at 9am, then come across to the band rehearsal. We are all in the same space at Tennyson. The expectation from the sport department is that it won’t take long to assess you.
Students are reminded of the importance of consistent home practice to memorise their music and to spend some time working on marching; doing this in front of a mirror or video recording their practice will help to improve their skills. Years 11 and 12 students in the SWE and Red Thunder Drumline are reminded that this performance forms part of their qualification for an Honour Pocket (see p.151 of the Student Diary) for those ensembles. Our first events for Honour Pocket qualification will be happening in Term 2; the ANZAC Day Parade on 25 April and the Norman Clarke Concert on 9 June.
Music Practice Hall is held on Mondays from 3.15-5pm. We encourage you to support this unique opportunity on a regular basis, whereby your sons can practice and receive guided supervision with tutors from the Queensland Conservatorium of Music and other tertiary institutions. Please take advantage of this unique opportunity.
A reminder that the Terrace App is being used to store and disseminate information such as the Music and Speech and Drama Handbook, the weekly rehearsal schedule, and Event Memos for performances. There will still be some information found on the College website but it will be of a more general nature.
Performance and workshop notifications are sent out as a Tour emailed via the Parent Lounge and this will be used to ascertain who will be attending performances and for roll marking. Could I ask that you respond promptly to these notifications as we use this information, among other things, to generate rolls and book us transport when applicable. Please keep in mind that it is expected that all members of an ensemble participate in all performances but we understand that from time to time there may be circumstances that prevent attendance. If you are declining a tour, could you also please inform the ensemble director and cc firstname.lastname@example.org Finally, as these notices only go out to parents, could you please discuss the event with your son to ensure he has the details entered in his calendar. You and he will be able to view the Event Memo via the Terrace App. Links to the Parent Lounge will be mentioned in this Terrace News article as they become available. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Music Department email@example.com.
A full list of each term's events is included at the end of this article and will be updated as required. This list will contain a basic outline of each event with more detailed information being sent directly to those involved via the Parent Lounge.
To discontinue lessons, please email firstname.lastname@example.org at least two full weeks prior to the end of term (Thursday 21 March). Notification after this time will incur a full term’s fee for the following term.
• Monday 15 April 9-12pm Tennyson, ANZAC Day Marching Band, (Consisting of BCB, RCB and Red Thunder Drumline)
• Monday 15 April 12.30-2.30pm Tennyson, Red Thunder Drumline
• Tuesday 16 April, 9-12pm Tennyson, ANZAC Day Marching Band (as per above + SWE)
• Tuesday 16 April, 12.30-2.30pm Tennyson, Pep Band (TJO, BBB, Tuba Ensemble and Percussion Ensemble Two Drumline)
Term 2 Events
• Thursday 25 April 8am-12.30pm, ANZAC Day Marching Band Thursday, meet at Terrace, march in Brisbane CBD.
• Thursday 9 - Saturday 11 May, Middle School Music Production, selected performers only.
• Saturday 11 May, 12.30pm, Pep Band.
• Saturday 25 May, 12.30pm, Pep Band.
• Saturday 1 June, 12.30pm, Pep Band.
• Sunday 9 June, Villanova College. Norman Clarke Concert. Sound checks from 10.45am, concert at 3pm.
• Monday 24 June, Drumline and BB2 Workshop
• Tuesday 25 June, First Percussion Ensemble BB3 band Workshop
• Wednesday 26 June, Percussion 2, Percussion 3, TJC band Workshops
• Thursday 28 June – Saturday 6 July, USA Music Tour